Jonathon Lee Farnsworth’s Answers

Jonathon Lee Farnsworth

Saint Paul Business Attorney.

Contributor Level 8
  1. Can my apartment charge for repair costs for water pipes bursting?

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Christopher Jon Huntley
    2. Jonathon Lee Farnsworth
    2 lawyer answers

    Generally yes, you would be liable for damage due to your negligence. As another attorney already noted, however, there may be certain defenses you have to any action from the landlord. Please note that nothing in this comment constitutes legal advice or establishes an attorney-client relationship.

  2. My landlord gave me to the 28th to pay my back pay rent but then turned around and filed a u.d on the 28th.

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Shaun George Jamison
    2. David Allen Lutz
    3. Jonathon Lee Farnsworth
    3 lawyer answers

    You should be able to get this expunged based on the facts as you describe them. Of course, expungement is in the Judge's discretion. With that being said, filing a UD is different than actually obtaining an order for a Writ of Recovery. Your case sounds like it should have been dismissed since you fully paid on the same day the UD was filed with the Court. If you get an order for expungement, that order is only the first step in clearing your name. There are also many private databases...

  3. If our lease is not signed by a manager, is it still binding? What is the definition of "apartment abandonment"?

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Jonathon Lee Farnsworth
    2. Steven Alan Fink
    2 lawyer answers

    The lease is enforceable as long as you signed the document. Even if you move out prematurely, the landlord has an affirmative obligation to mitigate its damages and re-let the property. If the property is immediately re-let without cost to the landlord, the landlord may not be entitled to any damages. Additionally, if the landlord fails to reasonably market the property or attempt to re-let it, the landlord may waive its ability to obtain any damages from you for unpaid rent. Nothing in...

  4. I secured the apmt for my quad client but the landlord requested that he be removed from the premises. I removed him.

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Jonathon Lee Farnsworth
    1 lawyer answer

    Based on your comment, you should strongly consider seeking legal counsel. MN law regarding tenant's rights is complicated and eviction procedures are technical. If you are unable to pay for an attorney, consider contacting Legal Aid or SMRLS. In order to obtain an eviction in MN, the landlord must serve the tenant with the eviction Complaint 7 to 14 days prior to the hearing. Landlords cannot engage in "self help"--they need a Court order to evict a tenant. If a tenant does not receive...

  5. Logging into husband's yahoo email

    Answered over 3 years ago.

    1. Neil Alan Wehneman
    2. Pamela Koslyn
    3. Jonathon Lee Farnsworth
    4. Robert Daniel Kelly
    4 lawyer answers

    As the other two responses have noted, you would most likely be exposing yourself liability if you check your husband's email account based on your circumstances. You may be interested in the following blog article as an example of what potential liability exists under Federal law:

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer