Skip to main content
Scott Matthew Aaronson

Scott Aaronson’s Answers

365 total

  • Court fees owed still but will be moving to the UK, how does that affect me?

    i have outstanding court fees ($1300) from a DUI but will be moving to the UK in a month as i have been granted a visa to live with my fiancee. will this affect me leaving the country or returning to the USA

    Scott’s Answer

    It may possibly cause hindrance on you returning to the USA. When charges aren't paid on an OWI, the court will usually issue a bench warrant. This could be seen by border patrol agents when they run your passport. Will they actually bother to detain you when you come back? Possibly not, however why risk it when they could? It is possible that they allow you enter the US, detain you and transfer you to the local police.

    See question 
  • Charges with driving while. Intoxicated

    at the Pretrail the plea agreement was a year supervised probation haft to go back to to court in one month to sign the plea deal. what does that mean. Have the prosector already tallked to the judge about this or will. That be when i find out ...

    Scott’s Answer

    I don't really know enough about your case to be able to answer your question. Usually for misdemeanor cases (which most OWIs are) there isn't really a deal with regards to sentencing. Your lawyer may have told you what he believed would happen but ultimately it is up to the judge and isn't known until sentencing date. Usually your plea agreement for misdemeanor cases only consists of what the charges will be in exchange for a plea. You could be talking about a PSI report from a probationary agent. This report is given after you enter into a plea. This is a mere recommendation to the judge as to what he believes your punishment should be.

    If it is a felony OWI, then there could be something called a Cobbs agreement which allows a Judge to make an agreement with a Defendant concerning the sentence the Court will impose if the Defendant pleads guilty or no contest. This is done at the time of the plea. After this you usually go and see your probation officer for a PSI report. At sentencing, if a judge refuses to honor the Cobbs agreement, you may withdraw your plea. While I suppose a cobbs agreement could be entered into in misdemeanor cases, in my experience it is rare.

    As to whether or not you will lose your license, I'd need to know what exactly you plead guilty to and how many priors you had within what time period. This should have been a discussion you had with your lawyer prior to pleading guilty to anything.

    See question 
  • Owi dropped to careless driving?

    On saturday night i left the bar at 1:30 am to drive to a nearby hotel. While checking my gps a blew out my tire on a curb in a mall parking lot i immediately called onstar to have my tire changed. They said they would be a couple hours so i put m...

    Scott’s Answer

    While not impossible, there would need to be special circumstances for a OWI to be reduced to a careless driving. Usually the plea reduction to this type of offense is Operating While Visibly Impaired (OWVI). That doesn't mean you have to automatically take that plea. While OWI's are always difficult cases, there are several defenses.

    You need an OWI attorney ASAP.

    See question 
  • Hello, I would like to know how long will it take to expunge a criminal record?

    By Michigan laws

    Scott’s Answer

    In Michigan, you can expunge (also known as setting aside) your criminal conviction after 5 years from the date you are finished with probation, sentencing, or incarceration whichever is later.

    You may expunge a felony if you have no more than two misdemeanors. You may expunge up to two misdemeanors if you have nothing else on your record.

    Additionally, you may not expunge certain offenses including any traffic related offenses (including OWI/OWVI, driving on suspended, etc). It is important to note that driving on suspended is considered a misdemeanor for purposes of expungement. Also it is important to note that offenses that were dismissed under 769.4a, HYTA or other statutes ARE considered convictions for purposes of determining eligibility for expungement.

    Note that this is the law as of beginning of 2015. The old law before that was much different.

    See question 
  • How much time can i get if i violate probation

    Felony intent - preparations arson i took a plea na aa anger mangerment. 15 days work force and community service for cost and fines i did everything but community service when the max time is 10 years go to court and lose 15 when im on 3 year pro...

    Scott’s Answer

    Much depends on your specific judge and your guidelines. Guidelines are derived based on past criminal conviction and other factors.

    What is clear is that you need a criminal defense attorney at once!

    See question 
  • Do I need an attorney to contest a public intoxication charge in court

    there is a strong case for non culpability and police misconduct

    Scott’s Answer

    You absolutely need an attorney! Have you ever heard the saying a defendant who represents himself defendant has a fool for a client.

    See question 
  • My boyfriend was just charged with owi child endangerment 3 counts what will his sentencing look like

    im not sure what to put here

    Scott’s Answer

    Sentencing varies and depends very much on his plea, his specific judge and other factors not mentioned here.

    The best thing you can do for him is to get the best attorney you can afford. AVVO is a great place to look.

    See question 
  • Circuit court arraignment help ?

    My case was bound over to circuit court and i have an arraignment on the information. I was wondering what exactly happens at this arraignment ? And what happens if i plead guilty ? And what happens if i plead non guilty ? And if i get a pre-trial...

    Scott’s Answer

    Arraignment on the information is similar to your first arraignment, only it exists as your first court date at the circuit court level, once your case got bound over. You may plead not guilty at the arraignment, waive reading of the information and get blind drawn to a random judge. Some people choose to accept plea agreements at this stage prior to a blind draw. They may do this if the arraignment judge is better towards defendants than the possibilities of who a defendant can get blind drawn to.

    I can't answer to results of a plea to of your charge because I have no idea what the specifics are of your case. Contact a lawyer asap.

    See question 
  • How much time period is required to file for a misdemeanor expungement?

    I was arrested for a misdemeanor in April 2013,no jail, no community services. Have nothing in criminal record except this one in my background.when can I apply for expungement , if any one could plz give an idea about how much $ amount will be in...

    Scott’s Answer

    Generally speaking, you need to wait 5 years from the day you were discharged from probation, sentenced, discharged from incarceration whichever one is LATER.

    You are only eligible to get it expunged if the misdemeanor is an expungable offense (no traffic related things such as OWIs, or driving on suspended).

    You also can only expunge a misdemeanor if you have no more than one other misdemeanor offense.

    You can expunge a felony with up to two misdemeanor offenses. Remember driving on suspended licenses are considered misdemeanor offenses.

    If you are not sure what is on your record you can pull your official copy at

    If you want to clear your public record from criminal databases that are not official, you can do so (more information on that can be found at ) .

    Note that only setting aside a conviction actually removes it from the record. Using the above link just may hide it from non official public databases.

    As for attorney cost, every attorney charges a different fee. You need to find an attorney you are comfortable with.

    See question 
  • Can any good come from talking with a detective who contacted me for questioning. I am truly innocent, and can't believe this.

    My grandfather was on hospice and other members of my family we're taking prescription medication. I went to visit him the day he died, subsequently said medication came up missing. I have a criminal history, so naturally my family banned together...

    Scott’s Answer

    100% of the time, my answer is NEVER speak with the detective alone. Nothing good can come from talking to them. They will use any admission to help prove their case. Any denial will not help you because they will just assume you are lying about it.

    If you are absolutely set on speaking with them, hire an attorney and have them talk to them. This way it insulates you from incriminating yourself.

    There are plenty of 10.0 rated AVVO attorneys that focus on criminal defense that you can choose from.

    See question