My boyfriend(also the father of my 2 year old daughter) has been getting garnished for the past year and a half. Technically speaking he makes 12.50/hr but with them taking 25% of his checks each week it seems like he's making minimum wage.He only...
Generally, the only way to stop garnishments if to pay off the debt, come to an agreement with the creditor or file a bankruptcy. That having been said, the suggestions by the other attorneys give some options that should be explored. I would urge that an appointment with a competent bankruptcy attorney be arranged.See question
I allowed a girl to live wit me , she left owning rent & bills, I took her 2 court & won my case, & I still have not received any of the money. It has been round 4 years now. I want my money from her its a 10% increase each year she doesn't pay w...
Getting a judgment does not necessarily get you the money. If the judgment debtor does not pay voluntarily, it is up to you to collect, through garnishments, attachments, levies, liens and other executions. In order to do this you must know where the person lives. A collection attorney in your area should be able to help.See question
I voluntarily took back a truck to integrity auto because I couldn't afford the payments any longer due to some issues and they have reported on my credit as volunteered repossession and I have a large sum of money deducted from tax return with t...
What the others have said is correct. General creditors can not reach a tax refund. Once it is in a bank account, a creditor with a judgment can, however, reach it.See question
If my father passes with car/credit card debt that he is the sole signatory to, will my mother be liable for his debt?
She would not be liable on the credit card debt, under most circumstances. She would not be liable on the car loan, but if she wants to keep the car, the loan would have to be paid.See question
My husband and I purchased this time share in 1998 for $10,000. He died three years ago and I can't afford to travel or pay almost $1,000 a year for maintenance fees.
What is currently owed can be discharged in a bankruptcy, but as long as you own the time share, they continue to accrue. Those that accrue after the bankruptcy would still be your responsibility.See question
Recently divorced. husband signed quit deed form . divorce decree stated that i had to modify mortgage. i did that and now because he's still on mortgage he is going to file bankruptcy . am i going to loose my house even though my mortgage is curr...
Because you received the house in the divorce and it was deeded to you by your ex, the house should not be a part of your ex's bankruptcy. It also appears that he may no longer be obligated on the mortgage due to the loan modification, so the lender should not be concerned about that. If he still is obligated, the fact that you are making the payments should satisfy them. You may wish to consult with a bankruptcy attorney to review the facts and documents to make certain as to where you stand.See question
I am currently a 75% shareholder on a business that i do banking with, well i had the other 25% shareholder who is not a signer on the bank account file a suit against this current business and me personally. A judge granted a temporary order to f...
To fully answer this, more information would be needed, but based on the information that is here, it may be that the new business has some exposure. I would recommend consulting with an attorney who can more fully investigate the matter.See question
I got my paycheck and there were 2 garnishment without any notification
Your employer was under a court order to take those funds. You should have gotten notice from the creditor and the court before any of this happened. If you were not so notified, you may have actions that can be taken against the creditor, but not your employer.See question
if i own a car free and clear of liens and the value is less than the $4000 exemption am i at no risk of repossession? there is a large credit card judgment against me
Repossession is only a remedy for a lien holder and the exemption would not apply to a lien holder. A creditor, such as a credit card debt, would be able to get a judgment and, through execution, have court officers take the car in satisfaction, The exemption would come into play then, but you would likely have to prove the value of the car to demonstrate that it is exempt. Otherwise the car could be sold. You should seek an attorney to discuss your options.See question
The law office sent a letter asking if I owed the debt. I didn't respond because I thought it was a scam. I think I already paid this. I was given no court date to fight it, just received the judgment. Now I have a notice to set up payment arr...
If the creditor already has a judgment, it can be disputed if it was paid, but it is much harder. You should speak to an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options.See question