Skip to main content
Jacob Robert Nemer

Jacob Nemer’s Answers

2 total

  • Contempt of court in TN or not, if I deny a weekend visit with over a week notice due to surgery , shouldn't kids be with Mom?

    I found out today I need surgery, it is scheduled for next week. My kids have visitation next weekend, my husband, children and I all agree and believe our children should be with me when I get home after surgery. Emailed the grandmother ...

    Jacob’s Answer

    Simply put, you must follow the parenting plan order as written, regardless of the circumstances. If your children's father is scheduled to have parenting time during your surgery and you withhold the children from him, you are in contempt of court.

    That said, the court will not unilaterally pursue a contempt action against you. It will be up to your children's father to file a contempt petition, and if he does, it is very possible that you will be incarcerated for refusing to follow the court's parenting plan order.

    See question 
  • What do I do if i'm not the beneficiary on my husband's life insurance policy?

    My husband and I was together over a decade and was only married for 3 mos before he suddenly passed. We didn't get a chance to change any policies or legal documents. I was pregnant in 1 state and he was working in another state getting ready for...

    Jacob’s Answer

    • Selected as best answer

    Attorney Koslyn is correct in that you cannot retroactively change your husband's insurance policy beneficiary.

    Did your husband leave a will? If so, you will want to reference the will to see if he left you a share of his estate.

    Depending on your situation, there also the possibility that you could be entitled to a share of his estate under Tennessee law, regardless of the will.

    Your best bet would be to contact an attorney in Nashville and tell him/her all of the facts and circumstances surrounding your situation. Your options will depend on the facts.

    I hope that helps!

    See question