John is one of the youngest Board Certified civil trial lawyers in Florida and the youngest to be both Board Certified in Civil Trial and AV Rated in all of northeast Florida. John has many million dollar verdicts and settlements to his credit in cases ranging from soft tissue injuries to brain damage cases, as well as many defense verdicts from his years as a defense attorney representing companies like State Farm, Coca-Cola, JM Family & Hertz. He achieved what was called a "landmark victory" in a school bulling case, getting a bully banned from the county school system, which ultimately led to an appellate court re-defining confusing law. He has spoken over 400 times to national and international audiences on the topics of personal injury, violent crime and criminal law. He has written law reviews, contributed to news pieces, commented for many media outlets and has advised governments about legal and policy. Most notably, John is proud to provide personal, passionate attention to both personal injury and wrongful death cases, as well as criminal defense cases.
Just in 2013-2014, John and his office have been selected as:
- "Best Lawyer," by readers of the Folio Weekly,
- "Righteous Crusader," by readers of the Folio Weekly,
- "#1 Lawyer," by readers of Void Magazine,
- "Top Lawyer," by 904 Magazine,
- "Company with Heart," by 904 Magazine,
- "Best Lawyer," by Jacksonville Magazine,
- "Who's Who in Law," by Ponte Vedra Recorder,
- and others;
as well as rated:
- AV - Preeminent (the highest rating obtainable), by peers according to Martindale- Hubbell,
- 10 / 10, by Avvo,
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer, by the National Trial Lawyers Association,
- Top 40 Under 40, by the American Society of Legal Advocates,
- SuperLawyer, by Florida Super Lawyers.
John Phillips was born and in Alabama and raised all along the Gulf Coast. His Grandfather and Great Grandfather practiced law in Mississippi, where his great grandfather was also a Judge. John attended the University of Alabama on a full academic scholarship and graduated with a Bachelors degree in Political Science and Criminal Justice. He also earned his law degree from the University of Alabama.
After graduation, he clerked for a Judge in Mobile, Alabama, before moving to Jacksonville, Florida where he has made his home since 2001. He has been involved in numerous "high-profile" matters throughout his career.
To be Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, one must:
Personally try many cases. John has tried many cases in Florida, Georgia and Alabama. Board Certification rewards those who “walk the walk.” You pay the same contingency fee, why pay the same for someone who merely “talks the talk”?
Pass a peer review. The Bar asks other lawyers to comment on whether you meet the standards of professionalism of a Board Certified attorney. Reputation matters.
Keep learning. The Florida Bar requires expert lawyers to undergo advanced level training, above and beyond that required to keep a law license.
Pass a full day examination. John passed an exam on his first try, testing his knowledge of the Rules of Ethics, Evidence and Civil Procedure.
EXPERIENCED TRIAL LAWYER
Mr. Phillips has tried numerous jury trials and bench trials, has successfully argued before multiple appellate courts and is licensed to practice in Florida, Georgia and Alabama. He does all in his power to obtain the best possible outcome under oftentimes challenging circumstances. Ultimately, John considers himself the ultimate storyteller, entrusted to tell the stories of the people he represents.
SERVICE AND PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
John is a member of many professional and community service organizations including:
- Florida Justice Association, Eagle Member (2010 – present);
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member (2012 – present);
- Alabama Association for Justice, Member (2012 – present);
- American Bar Association, Member (2012 – present);
- Shannon Miller Foundation, Board Member (2012 to present);
- Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce (2012 to present);
- National High School Basketball Association, Advisor Board Member (2011 to present);
- Spina Bifida Association of Jacksonville, Vice Chairman (2006 -2011);
- Jacksonville Quarterback Club, Board of Directors (2002-2011);
- ABA Advisory Panel, Member (2008-2011);
- Lawline, Faculty Professor, (2011-2012);
- Chester Bedell American Inn of Court, Alumni;
- Paul Brock American Inn of Court, Alumni;
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Judicial Relations Committee (2007-2009);
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Special Needs of Children and Families (2006-2009);
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Professionalism Committee (2006-2008);
- Florida Insurance Fraud Education Committee, Member (2005-2010);
- Jacksonville Defense Lawyers Association, Member (2002-2010);
- And more.
Mr. Phillips is a sought after lecturer and speaker. He frequently speaks on Stand Your Ground, about representing victims of violence, on topics from his former radio show, ‘Courts & Sports,’ and on what we all can learn from Atticus Finch.
Mr. Phillips is often published in numerous publications including the Florida Times Union, the Folio Weekly, the Orlando Sentinel, the Tampa Tribune, the Mobile Press Register and many others.
ON AIR LEGAL ANALYST / COMMENTATOR
John is frequently asked to provide the media with legal commentary and he and his cases have appeared on the following networks and shows:
- HLN (Headline News) - Dr. Drew On Call, Nancy Grace, Jane Velez-Mitchell, Raising America, HLN After Dark, Evening Express, Morning Express, Now in America, News Now, On the Case and more.
- CNN - Anderson Cooper 360, Starting Point, New Day, Out Front and more
- CBS - Appeared on both national news and with affiliates, Inside Edition, Katie Couric and more.
- ABC - Appeared on both national news and with affiliates, Good Morning America, Nightline and more.
- NBC - Appeared on both national news and with affiliates, The Today Show and more.
- FOX - Appeared on both national news and with affiliates and more.
- MSNBC - Last Word, Melissa Harris-Perry, Politics Nation (Al Sharpton), NewsNation, All In and more.
- RTV (Russia Today);
- Al Jazeera;
- Arise TV:
- TV ONE;
- and more, as well as many newspapers and magazines.