Not yet reviewed
"The zealous defense attorney is the last bastion of liberty - the final barrier between an overreaching government and its citizens. The job of the defense attorney is to challenge the government; to make those in power justify their conduct in relation to the powerless; to articulate and defend the right of those who lack the ability or resources to defend themselves." Alan M. Dershowitz, The Best Defense, 1982.
- Received not guilty verdicts in numerous felony trials.
- Motion to suppress granted; drug possession charge dismissed.
- Three clients charged with attempted murder (unrelated cases); each pled to a reduced charge and received a suspended sentence to probation.
- Represented a disbarred attorney before the SC Supreme Court in a Rule to Show Cause hearing filed by the Office of Disciplinary Counsel, alleging criminal and civil contempt of court for violating the Court’s order (unauthorized practice of law and failure to pay fees/restitution).
- Objected to probation revocation based on the presiding judge’s failure to make specific findings of fact regarding the willfulness of the probationer’s failure to pay; Court of Appeals reversed and remanded the revocation in an unpublished opinion.
- Dismissals include, but are not limited to the following charges: First-degree burglary; Trafficking cocaine and heroin; CDVHAN; Manufacturing methamphetamine; Unlawful conduct towards a child; and Kidnapping.
- Filed over 100 Direct/PCR appeals in the SC Supreme Court and Court of Appeals
- Argued four appeals before the Supreme Court.
- Argued twenty appeals before the Court of Appeals.
- Seven reversals and one remand in the Court of Appeals.
- Counsel of record in fourteen published opinions.
- State v. G. [redacted], Motion for a new trial granted based on after-discovered evidence; Motion to hold appeal in abeyance granted, followed by two remand hearings with expert and out-of-state witnesses. Two murder convictions and life without parole sentences vacated; Murder charges dismissed.
DISCLAIMER: This attorney profile, notable cases/appeals, and endorsements/testimonials should not be considered as a description or characterization of Dayne Phillips' quality of representation and in no way should be interpreted as a guarantee of a specific result because every case is different and must be evaluated on its specific factual and legal issues. This attorney profile does not create an attorney-client relationship nor does it constitute as legal advice.
Free Consultation (30 minutes)
Cash, Check, Credit Card
|Award Name||Grantor||Date Granted|
|4th Best Brief (out of 32 teams)||ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition, Miami Regional||2010|
|Assistant Public Defender||Eleventh Judicial Circuit Public Defender's Office||2013 - Present|
|Appellate Defender||Appellate Division, South Carolina Commission on Indigent Defense||2011 - 2013|
|Administrative Hearing Officer||South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce||2011 - 2011|
|Law Clerk||Bluestein, Nichols, Thompson & Delgado, LLC||2006 - 2011|
|Association Name||Position Name||Duration|
|South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers||Board of Directors||2014 - 2015|
|Lexington County Bar Association||Member||2014 - Present|
|United States Supreme Court||Member||2014 - Present|
|South Carolina Bar||Member||2011 - Present|
|South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers||Member||2011 - Present|
|State v. Jackson, Op. No. 5278 (SC Ct. App. filed November, 5, 2014)||Reversed murder and armed robbery convictions|
|State v. Robinson, 408 S.C. 268, 758 S.E.2d 725 (Ct. App. 2014), Op. No. 5224 (SC Ct. App. filed April 23, 2014)||Reversed trafficking cocaine conviction|
|State v. Moore, 404 S.C. 634, 746 S.E.2d 352 (Ct. App. 2013), Op. No. 5160 (SC Ct. App. filed July 17, 2013)||Reversed trafficking cocaine conviction|
|See all Legal Cases|
|University of South Carolina School of Law||Law||JD - Juris Doctor||2010|
|University of South Carolina||Political Science||BA - Bachelor of Arts||2007|
|Charleston School of Law||Law||N/A||N/A|
|South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers||Criminal Defense 101||2015|
|Orientation School for Magistrate and Municipal Judges||Constitutional Rights||2015|
|Orientation School for Magistrate and Municipal Judges||Constitutional Rights||2014|