- Criminal Law
- Driving While Intoxicated
- Traffic Violations
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- William and Mary School of Law, J.D.
- Virginia Commonwealth University, M.P.A.
- Virginia Military Institute, B.A.
Mitchell M. Wells is admitted to practice law in all state and federal courts in Virginia, concentrates his practice in the areas of criminal law, DUI and traffic violations, and has defended hundreds of cases.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Wells served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Health Care Fraud section of the Office of the Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Virginia. Mr. Wells was responsible for supervising various fraud investigations and litigating Virginia false claim actions in federal court pursuant to the Federal False Claims Act and the Virginia Fraud Against Taxpayers Act.
Before becoming an attorney, Mr. Wells served as a Virginia State Trooper for eight years. Mr. Wells investigated thousands of criminal, drug, DUI, traffic and accident cases; was rated "exceptional" by the Virginia State Police; and, he received 23 commendations for his exemplary service to the Commonwealth of Virginia. He was also filmed by the television show "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol." Mr. Wells was certified by the Virginia Department of Forensic Science as a Breath Test Operator, and by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services as a Crime Prevention Specialist, General Instructor, R.A.D.A.R. operator, V.A.S.C.A.R. operator, and to administer the NHTSA standardized field sobriety tests.
While attending law school, Mr. Wells was a summer law clerk to the Honorable Robert E. Payne, Judge, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, and prosecuted criminal, DUI and traffic cases as an intern for the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney for Henrico County, Virginia.
- Virginia State Bar
- National College for DUI Defense
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Richmond Criminal Bar Association
- Lewis F. Powell, Jr. American Inn of Court
- Brannon v. Commonwealth, Record No. 1419-07-2, (Va. Ct. App. 2008)
- Co-Author, "Defending The DUI Charge," VTLA Journal, Volume 19, Number 4, 2008
Continuing Legal Education:
- The Art of Persuasion: Painting Powerful Images In DUI Cases
- Frank Dunham Federal Criminal Defense Conference
- 4th Annual Indigent Criminal Defense: Advanced Skills For The Experienced Practitioner
- Virginia Criminal Sentencing Guidelines
- Defending Serious Traffic Cases: Smart Strategy, Creative Tactics
- 3rd Annual Indigent Criminal Defense: Advanced Skills For The Experienced Practitioner
- Mastering Scientific Evidence in DUI Cases
- The Criminal Defense Trial From Start To Finish
- Defense of Serious Traffic Cases in Virginia