Skip to main content
Demetrios C Pikrallidas

Demetrios Pikrallidas’s Answers

116 total

  • Do I need an Attorney or is it even worth it?

    I have recently been terminated from my previous job. I feel like the company went about it in a cowardly way,making my immediate supervisor terminate me rather than the upper management! He said he didn't want to let me go. They made me complet...

    Demetrios’s Answer

    You should contact a lawyer that specializes in Employment Law.

    See question 
  • How long does a state have to extradite an inmate to a court hearing in another state?

    I have a criminal case pending in New Jersey, but I was violated by my probation/parole officer in my home state, Virginia. I am incarcerated in Virginia at this time. New Jersey and the prosecutor has notification of my arrest. What is the time l...

    Demetrios’s Answer

    In most 
    situations these will include the following: 1) the commission of the crime; 2) the identification 
    of a suspect; 3) the charging of the suspect either by an arrest warrant or an indictment; 4) the 
    fleeing of the suspect across state lines; 5) the issuance of a fugitive warrant; 6) notification of
    other states of the fugitive, by way of the National Crime Information Center (NCIC).
    Once a fugitive from another state is found in Virginia, the first order of business is to place
    the suspect under arrest. To do this an arrest warrant is usually required. The local law 
    enforcement official obtains such a warrant by appearing before a magistrate, outlining the 
    reason for the arrest, and presenting whatever supporting information may be available (i.e., NCIC message, fugitive warrant, etc.). The only time a warrant is not required is when the 
    fugitive has been officially charged with a crime in another state that is punishable by death or
    imprisonment for more than one year. (See Sec. 19.2­99 and 19.2­100 of the Code of Virginia.)
    Shortly after any arrest, two things typically occur: The demanding state is notified of the 
    arrest, and the fugitive is taken before a magistrate or other appropriated officer of the court. What occurs at this initial hearing dependent in part on whether the arrest was made with or
    without a warrant. If it was made without a warrant, the first thing the magistrate must do is
    determine whether or not there was sufficient justification for the arrest, and if justification is
    found sufficient, issue the warrant or required affidavit as necessary. Once a warrant has been 
    issued, or if the arrest was made with a warrant already in hand, the magistrate will inform the 
    fugitive of the charges against him and his rights under the law, determine whether or not to 
    allow bail, and schedule an early appearance for the fugitive in district court. (See Chapter 7 for
    further details.)
    Suffice it to say that at the first appearance in District Court the judge will, among other things, allow the fugitive the option of waiving extradition. Many fugitives choose 
    this option, knowing that in al likelihood they will be extradited, and by waiving extradition do 
    not delay the inevitable. 
    If extradition is not waived, another series of steps is necessary. First, the demanding must 
    initiate a formal request for extradition. This request comes from the governor of the demanding 
    state, but is generally based upon information supplied by the local prosecutor of the jurisdiction 
    where the crime was committed. The extradition request should typically include: a copy of the 
    warrant with affidavits or an indictment against the fugitive, a complete application for
    requisition, copies of the statutes the fugitive is charged with violating, information for the 
    identification of the fugitive (i.e. fingerprints or photos), and required certifications.
    Once the complete extradition request is received by the Governor’s office, it is forwarded 
    from the Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth to the Office of the Attorney General, where it is reviewed for legal sufficiency. Two crucial things are looked for: 1) whether the 
    fugitive is, in fact, charged with a crime in the demanding state; and 2) whether the person 
    arrested is the fugitive. The Governor’s office will not examine issues of probable cause for the 
    charge. Nor will it consider other defenses such as alibi or self­defense. These issues are 
    considered matters between the fugitive and the demanding state.
    Once the Governor’s office is satisfied that the demanding state has met the necessary 
    requirements for extradition, a Governor’s Warrant is issued. This warrant serves as an 
    authorization for taking the fugitive into

    See question 
  • Should we get paid to stay in hotel rented by our company since they decided for that particular we don't have any work for us?

    I am a permanent employee for a company in Virginia and we travel to work away from home to any state in USA. we get our assignments on daily basis. sometimes we get them sometimes they just tell us in the morning we have no work so your off even ...

    Demetrios’s Answer

    I would first contact the Virginia Employment Commission. They are an excellent resource. If that does not produce a result, I would then contact an Employment Lawyer.

    See question 
  • Employer had put my account in collections without prior notice ?

    My prior employer put my account in collections without prior notice. There was no communication that I owe money to them. The money that was given was under Emplyer housing plan where employees are eligible to get housing assistance for down paym...

    Demetrios’s Answer

    You should consult with an Attorney that specializes in Employment Law and possible a lawyer who specializes in the Fair Debt Collection Act.

    See question 
  • I moved into a condo my landlord told me I could bring my dog, but the association is now telling me that she weighs to much

    and I have to get rid of he immediately. I have had this dog since birth , she is 4 she has been there for my kids and myself from being homeless, mental/suicide intentions with my daughter. see's a great companion and part of our family. I have n...

    Demetrios’s Answer

    Refer to your Lease. If it provides for size restrictions, the Landlord could possible assess fees or attempt to evict.

    See question 
  • If got married over seas while k-1 visa is pending.

    If I apply for k-1 visa for my fiancé and before it gets approved I plan to marry overseas. What happens to that case or it will get converted into k-3

    Demetrios’s Answer

    Fiancé(e) Visas
    This page provides information for U.S. citizens wishing to bring a foreign national fiancé(e) living abroad to the United States to marry.

    If you plan to marry a foreign national outside the United States or your fiancé(e) is already residing legally in the United States, you do not need to file for a fiancé(e) visa. See the “Green Card” page.

    Application Process

    File Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e).
    Eligibility Requirements

    If you petition for a fiancé(e) visa, you must show that:

    You (the petitioner) are a U.S. citizen.
    You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States.
    You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
    You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:
    1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
    2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.
    After the Fiancé(e) Visa is Issued

    Once issued, the fiancé(e) visa (or K-1 nonimmigrant visa) allows your fiancé(e) to enter the United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place. Once you marry, your spouse may apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while USCIS processes the application. For additional information, see the “Green Card” section

    See question 
  • One visit in 10 years green card

    I applied visit visa for my mother 15 years ago and denied. Applied for I130 and she got green card and only visited once 10 years ago. GC expired recently and she like to travel. Need advice regarding application of non immigrant visa which could...

    Demetrios’s Answer

    How to Apply To Renew a Green Card

    If you are a permanent resident whose 10-year green card has expired or will expire within the next 6 months, you may begin the renewal process by:

    Online E-Filing Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.
    Filing a paper Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card by mail.
    How to Renew a Green Card If You Are Outside the United States

    If you are outside the United States and your green card will expire within 6 months (but you will return within 1 year of your departure from the United States and before the card expires), you should file for your renewal card as soon as you return to the United States.

    If you are outside of the United States when the card expires and you have not applied for the renewal card prior to your departure, you should contact the nearest U.S. Consulate, USCIS office, or U.S. port of entry before attempting to file Form I-90 for a renewal green card.

    When to Renew a Green Card
    You should renew your green card if you are a permanent resident with a Form I-551 valid for 10 years and the card is either expired or will expire within the next 6 months.

    Note: If you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring, these instructions do not apply to you. In that case, you must use Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence, to apply to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status. For more information, see our Conditional Permanent Residence webpage.

    How to Find Out The Status Of Your Application
    You may check the status of your application online at My Case Status. Please remember that an e-filed receipt number may not be available through “My Case Status” for 72 hours. If you have immigration-related questions, you may call the USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283. You should be prepared to provide the USCIS staff with specific information about your application, such as your receipt number, Alien Registration Number, name and date of birth.

    See question 
  • How do you get an investigation about legal corruption?

    This involves millions of dollar of property and scheme to get it cheaply 1) attorney executed settlement agreement that released the tenant from his obligations under the lease to maintain and repair the buildings - loss of half a million dol...

    Demetrios’s Answer

    If what you are stating is correct and you question the attorney's ethics and ability to represent you as the client, you may contact the Virginia Bar.

    See question 
  • Son's psychiatrist covers up for father giving alcohol, pot, & more to son age 14 to 18, what law is psychiatrist breaking?

    Son provided alcohol, marijuana, other illegal substances, age 14 to 18, by his father. My son now has Substance Use Disorder, Other (or Unknown) Substance Dependence, as well as other serious problems, diagnosed and documented, by the same psychi...

    Demetrios’s Answer

    A psychiatrist is a Mandatory Reporter. If what you are saying is correct, you may want to reach out to the Virginia Board of Medicine.

    See question 
  • Tax benefits on childcare expenses

    I am in the process of getting divorced and we have been separated, my daughter stays with mom 100%, absent Court order on custody. Based on Court order, I have been paying child support. Can I split childcare expense with my wife when we file per...

    Demetrios’s Answer

    This should help guide you:

    Child of divorced or separated parents. For purposes of the medical and dental expenses deduction, a child of divorced or separated parents can be treated as a dependent of both parents. Each parent can include the medical expenses he or she pays for the child, even if the other parent claims the child's dependency exemption, if:
    The child is in the custody of one or both parents for more than half the year,

    The child receives over half of his or her support during the year from his or her parents, and

    The child's parents:

    Are divorced or legally separated under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance,

    Are separated under a written separation agreement, or

    Live apart at all times during the last 6 months of the year.

    This does not apply if the child's exemption is being claimed under a multiple support agreement


    See question