Peter E. Brill’s Answers

Peter E. Brill

New York Criminal Defense Attorney.

Contributor Level 7
  1. Who can drop charges of a sexual offense against a minor?

    Answered about 1 year ago.

    1. Peter E. Brill
    2. Michael Lewis Marley
    3. Eric Edward Rothstein
    4. Stephen C. Cooper
    5. John M. Cromwell
    5 lawyer answers

    Initially, in New York there is no crime with this name. So, hopefully this is posted in the correct state. The previous answer is correct, to the extent that you should have a lawyer and that the government is the only entity that can determine not to move forward with charges at this stage. However, there are things you can do to encourage that process to move in the direction you want. All parties should make it as clear as possible that they do not want the matter prosecuted. The rest...

    3 lawyers agreed with this answer

    1 person marked this answer as helpful

  2. Is it possible to win an appeal against NYPD who did not hire me because of an undocketed arrest 12 years ago?

    Answered over 2 years ago.

    1. Peter E. Brill
    2. Jay K Goldberg
    3. Benjamin J Lieberman
    4. Michael R. Cardinale
    4 lawyer answers

    The below answer is not actually accurate. There is an established appeals procedure for denial of a civil service position in New York City, including as an NYPD officer. We handle these appeals all the time.

    Selected as best answer

  3. Third speeding ticket in 18 months in ny

    Answered almost 6 years ago.

    1. Peter E. Brill
    1 lawyer answer

    The third speed in 18 months will lead to a suspension unless the judge at the DMV hearing chooses not to suspend. Therefore, you should plead "not guilty" on the ticket and attend the hearing when it's scheduled. You should then ask that the suspension not be imposed. Going with an attorney may improve your chances. Odds are that you can get a restricted license even if you are convicted.

    1 lawyer agreed with this answer

  4. I have to go to court for an old warrant from 2002,whats going to happen?

    Answered almost 6 years ago.

    1. Peter E. Brill
    2. Carlos Gonzalez
    2 lawyer answers

    Go with a lawyer. You may have bail set on you if you can't adequately explain where you've been for 7 years.

  5. What is the legal termination process for NY? Is there a process that must be adhered to?

    Answered almost 6 years ago.

    1. Peter E. Brill
    1 lawyer answer

    There is no formal termination process in New York, which is an employment "at will" state. Unless the termination were for discriminatory reasons (age, sex, race, etc.) or you had an employment contract, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Sorry.

  6. Petit larceny

    Answered almost 6 years ago.

    1. Peter E. Brill
    1 lawyer answer

    In most places, including Nassau or Suffolk County, you will need an attorney to go to court with you. However, the requirement that you "pay back 5 times the amount to the store" is not part of your criminal case. The store hires lawyers to try to collect that money. You have no obligation to pay that money unless you are sued by the store; on the other hand, you might want to pay it to avoid future lawsuits -- always consult with an attorney when making these decisions. As to the criminal...

Call now for a free consultation.