Skip to main content
Steven Todd Keppler

Steven Keppler’s Answers

876 total

  • Found out my Landlord lied to me after i signed a rental lease in NJ. What are my options,if Landlord is unwilling to help,

    The lease is between my girlfriend and i. When i met the landlord at burger king, i notified my girlfriend is not available, he insisted it was fine , to just mail him the original copy of the lease signed by her later. As long as i had the 2 mon...

    Steven’s Answer

    I'd need to review the lease, but generally speaking your landlord has to deliver, on the day the lease begins, the premises clean and free of any previous tenant's possessions. If he/she does not, then he/she is in breach of the lease because you cannot move in.

    It's also true that NJ law prohibits a security deposit from exceeding 1& 1/2 month's rent. 2 months rent as security is illegal and may be actionable.

    I'd sit down with an experienced landlord/tenant attorney to go over the situation in more detail before acting.

    See question 
  • Should I sue my landlord or just move?

    Lease originated in July 2013 on my lease it states "non-smoking residence". The 2nd floor tenant has MS and smokes a LOT of marijuana (and drinks heavily) which I knew nothing about until roughly 9 mos after moving in. To the point where I smell ...

    Steven’s Answer

    There's a number of issues here, including the criminal aspect of your neighbors conduct (although MS may be on the Compassionate Use of Medical Marijuana listing; if so nothing illegal is going on and your landlord's failure to act may be justifiable.) Depending on the terms of your lease, the manner in which you notified your landlord of the need for repairs, and several other factors you may be entitled to breach the lease without penalty.

    Best to sit down with an attorney in your area who is knowledgeable about these matters before making a snap decision.

    See question 
  • Sold a motorcycle with the salvage title and guy knew it was salvage but it runs perfect fine he wants to return it

    I sold a motorcycle to somebody in NY I live in NJ the bike was run and drive with salvage title the guy planned on shipping the bike over seas but now he says he can't because he can't insure it or register and he can't wait for the inspection or...

    Steven’s Answer

    You could tell him the sale was an arm's length transaction, that you disclosed the condition of the title, and that he accepted the bike with that knowledge. Sale and contract completed. There is no lemon law issue here, nor does the broader consumer fraud act (CFA) appear to be implicated.

    As NY is a UCC jurisdiction, he's likely well aware of the ancient concept of caveat emptor.

    See question 
  • I think I dated a con artist and not sure what to do.

    She was a tad odd from day one but nothing majorly concerning. She owes me money and have been giving me the run a round. She needed money in an emergency and wouldn't stop asking me. I believed her emergency was genuine but now I'm not too sure. ...

    Steven’s Answer

    This isn't necessarily a legal question because you're not alleging she's broken any laws. Basically, you were involved with a woman who may have used you to get money from you. If so, contact the Woodbridge Police and file a report. they'll act on it and it'll be referred to the Court.

    The municipal court can order restitution, if the situation warrants.

    See question 
  • Can I file a criminal complaint or do I need to hire a lawyer?

    My wife taped conversations between her and I in our home. She also taped conversations between me and a friend (who happens to do contract work for my employer) in our home. She is now contacting my employer trying to play these tape recordings...

    Steven’s Answer

    I agree with Mr. Baird on all points.

    If she plays the recordings to your employer and your employer does fire you, there might be a cause of action for intentional interference with economic advantage.

    Hire an attorney.

    See question 
  • Do i have a case

    Hello, my name is Bianca Ortiz back in 2012 around June I was trying to purchase a mission altima 2009 for 11 thousand dollars from a fellow named Kero Rofail Now around June 1st I gave Kero 8,700 dollars for a down payment and was agreed to pay t...

    Steven’s Answer

    First of all, you should never include personal information on this (or any other) website. That's an invitation to identity thieves.

    Second, your statements here could be viewed as defamatory against this individual you claim took thousands of dollars from you and didn't sell you the Nissan. That he refunded you a large chunk of the money is immaterial.

    If you never signed a contract to buy the car, and if you didn't keep records of these transactions, you don't have a provable case.

    See question 
  • Is it against the law to sell something under false descriptions.

    I had used an app called offer up to buy a used television which was described as like new from someone I had paid 150 for it and the next day when I first used it it kept on having issues where the speakers make a popping sound and kept blacking ...

    Steven’s Answer

    it is against the law to sell something under a false description. This situation, however, is not illegal because you knew you were buying a used item from its owner and not a merchant.

    See question 
  • What type of lawyer do I need for a paid entry contest?

    I won a luxury vehicle. I want to run a paid entry essay contest for someone to win the vehicle and for me to profit since I do not want the car.

    Steven’s Answer

    for starters, NJ regulates this type of contest (though the legislation is actually intended to broaden the contests of skill so as to avoid the pitfalls of illegal gambling.)

    That said, running a contest for money presents numerous problems, not the least of which is the tax issues - all the entry fees are gross income. To avoid paying personally, you'd need to establish an LLC ( or similar) and likely hire someone (or several someones) to administer the contest. You'd need to pay to advertise it, and then there's the rules to establish. Who's reading the essays and what are they about?

    Better plan: disclaim the car and/or ask for cash value equivalent to minimize your tax consequences. Or just sell it outright.

    Or, and I'm just spitballing here, keep the luxury car.

    See question 
  • I leased a car that I do not want anymore and tried returning it to the dealer a month later. anything I can do?

    the model of the vehicle is a 2015 infiniti q50a. salesmen did not tell me a lot of features and parts were missing. they are now trying to tell me it comes like that. long story short i want to return and they will not let me. anything i can do??

    Steven’s Answer

    What's "missing" from the model you purchased? Have you compared the trim level you purchased with the invoice to establish your vehicle isn't conforming to the options and standard equipment listed on the documentation?

    Simply being dissatisfied with your car isn't a lemon law issue - nor is it necessarily consumer fraud. You need to establish there's legitimately something wrong with the car that subtantially impairs its use or makes it dangerous to operate. Without a good deal more information, there's little to offer in the way of advice or information.

    See question 
  • Court case against fake contractor with criminal history. He is arrested by police on 2C:20-4A.

    I hired a contractor to do the bathroom , kitchen and basement for my home. The contract was for $30K including labor and materials . This guy started working with one other guy and started with bathroom and took $18k for incomplete bathroom and s...

    Steven’s Answer

    I concur with Mr. Ezold; you should retain counsel to file a lawsuit and obtain a judgment. That may be costly, however and ultimately uncollectable. It's a fairly common problem in these cases (though we certainly still file them.)

    As far as the criminal matter is concerned, he almost certainly won't be jailed but he will be fined. If he has a prior history of these types of offenses, he may be jailed for 30 or 60 days, but that's likely the limit of it. The court's jurisdiction is limited to 180 days, regardless.

    See question