Skip to main content
Steven Todd Keppler

Steven Keppler’s Answers

850 total

  • IDRC

    I am supposed to go to IDRC this weekend. I just called and was told they don't take women who are 3+ months pregnant. I am way past 3 months. There is nothing on the paper they sent me stating this, otherwise I would have called as soon as I foun...

    Steven’s Answer

    this is one of those questions that there may not be a good answer for. I've never heard of IDRC refusing a pregnant woman before, regardless of the length of that pregnancy. Unless there's something I'm missing, I can't imagine why your pregnancy is even relevant to sitting in the class (unless your potential need to use a restroom is somehow so disruptive as to make the class meaningless....but that's dangerously close to a sexist policy so I'm hopeful that isn't the case.)

    In any event, contact your attorney and see if he/she can't get the matter in front of a judge to be expedited. The MVC is not going to want to change its policies without a court order.

    See question 
  • According to a non-testamentary trust agreement, after the death of B, the next person in line receives distributions

    at ages 30 and 35. When B disclaims, what is "the event determining that the taker of the property or interest had become finally ascertained and the taker's interest is vested" referred to in NJ statute 3B:9-8 (Effect of disclaimer) paragraph b2?

    Steven’s Answer

    is this a bar prep question? because it sure reads like bar prep.

    See question 
  • Can a landlord evict a 82 year old woman and a 54 year old permanently disabled man for being a month late on the rent...?

    We received a notice that we have to appear in court with a notice to remove us from the home due to being late for 1 and 1 1/2 months. I have an 82 year old woman who can barely walk and I am a permanently disabled man in his late 50's and I have...

    Steven’s Answer

    Regrettably, the fact that your are disabled (and your cotenant is 82) are not relevant to whether you paid rent on time or not.

    You will be referred to mediation by the judge, and you and your landlord may be able to come to a reasonable compromise where you get to stay in the unit and he/she gets his/her money.

    No notice is required for a nonpayment of rent case, unless your lease specifically requires it.

    See question 
  • If someone asked if i would get with them if they paid me, can i get money out of this?

    An old co-worker of mine texts me once in a while and today he asked me if i would get with him if he paid me.... can I sue him? if so how much can i gain? he also asked me about personal things...

    Steven’s Answer

    First of all, you should never agree to engage in prostitution (that seems obvious, but hey...)

    Second, as to whether you should sue is a highly fact-sensitive inquiry. While it seems this might be a good case to establish some liability, I have no idea whether you have any damages (or if you do, how valuable they are.) Without knowing the damages to calculate, it's difficult to suggest litigation is appropriate. More to the point, the biggest jury award in the world is meaningless if the defendant has no assets to pay it with.

    I'd consider blocking this guy's number and reporting him to the police.

    See question 
  • Why to landlords evict or try to evict tenants from their apartments without a legal document for renovations and/or repairs?

    Good tenants who abide by all the rules are receiving "notices" to leave their apartments for nonspecific repairs and for renovations by landlords here in New Jersey, and I imagine other states as well.

    Steven’s Answer

    General purpose and (in this case passive-aggressive) questions asking for rhetorical answers ("why" questions are generally rhetorical in nature) are more than challenging to answer - they are impossible. "Why" a given landlord does something is impossible for me - or any other attorney - to ascertain without knowing a great deal more information. We cannot speculate on another person's inner thoughts or motivations.

    What we CAN do is offer some information on how to respond to specific situations "My landlord locked me out and refused to accept my rent b/c I complained of bedbugs" is something I can help with. "Why do landlords...." is best left for a philosophy classroom.

    See question 
  • What obligation do I have if I suspect a co-worker of drinking and/or being drunk at work (we work in a school).

    I just found out but it appears that everyone else knows, but no one want to get involved for fear of retaliation from a manager who is trying to "protect" her. What can/should be done. I have no proof other than the smell on her breath and what...

    Steven’s Answer

    I tend to agree with my colleagues, but I will suggest that if you reasonably believe this colleague's drinking is harming (or will imminently harm) children in this person's care, then you would have a legal obligation to come forward.

    These issues are really not related to DUIs, per se. Rather, they deal with how your employer is dealing with another employee. If you think there's a culture in place where this individual is protected at the expense of those in his/her care, that's a tough position to be in. As I suggested earlier, if children are affected (or are likely to be affected) by this person, you should report it.

    You should also document that it was reported to protect yourself.

    See question 
  • Can a lawyer disagree with the advisary asking for the 3rd adjournment in a Motion to enforce Litigants rights?

    My ex is notorious for stalling and has been asking for Adjournments for 2 months always some excuse that hold no merit to gather information to answer properly. Do judges usually allow adjournments consecutively? It is a Motion to enforce and ...

    Steven’s Answer

    Yes, a lawyer can refuse to consent to an adjournment. However, the court may (in its discretion) adjourn a motion or hearing date for good cause shown. This happens more frequently than many would like, but as my colleague astutely points out - someday you may need that adjournment on short notice - and you try to establish a reputation as an attorney who is always willing to accommodate the adversary's schedule.

    There are limits, of course. If my adversary has demonstrated, repeatedly, she cannot be relied upon to show any courtesy...i'm less likely to consent. Or, if I really need to stick to a given return date because my client's needs require it.

    See question 
  • I am convicted with DUI in NJ, Will this effect my I-140 & Green-card under EB-1(c) currently in progress?

    Also let me know if i have to declare this to USCIS on the DUI conviction? Also please advice what could i do to overcome this DUI in future. Will voluntary submission of my Driving privileges help me save some fines? Can i have my license su...

    Steven’s Answer

    I am not an immigration attorney and suggest you speak with one located in NJ because your DUI may have an affect on your immigration status.

    Bear in mind, in NJ a DUI is a non-criminal event (unlike most other states) but it still carries with it the possibility of negatively affecting your status here, your ability to become a naturalized citizen, or even the possibility of your reentry into the US after a trip abroad.

    See question 
  • I am seeking a NJ licensed attorney to coach me in a pro-se matter, paid per diem $200 hourly. Malpractice/estate.

    800 character limit is tough… A suspended NJ attorney mislead and advised me not to act, resulting in a $100,000 loss. I have documentation. I will need sit down conferences to review where I am and where and how to proceed next. I can pay $...

    Steven’s Answer

    I concur with my colleagues re: the ethical considerations of undertaking this type of representation. Also, I concur that's terms of service prohibit attorneys from directly soliciting business through this Q&A forum. The "Find a Lawyer" tool offered by is the proper way to reach out to attorneys directly.

    Ultimately, if a disbarred attorney (or suspended attorney) was offering legal advice, he/she could be exposed to a malpractice suit. That is a VERY technical matter that should NEVER be handled pro se. I would strongly urge you to speak with experienced legal counsel with significant expertise in handling professional malpractice cases. Ultimately, if this attorney was professionally negligent in some way, his or her insurance carrier will be footing the bill. (Assuming, of course, there was a policy in effect.)

    Respectfully - your ability to write and research isn't the question, or even at issue. The issue is whether this attorney can be proven to have committed malpractice. The bar is very high in such a case, and what you believe is sufficient evidence may be insufficient as a matter of law. That's why attorneys exist.

    As an aside - if you have no expectation of collecting a judgment, then you shouldn't be looking to file a lawsuit for "principles" only. It's simply not worth the investment of your time.

    See question 
  • Landlord threw out refridge and stove, I replaced and purchased my own, now landlord trying to sue me for my refridge and stove

    Can landlord take refrigerator and stove you purchased, even though they threw out the old one they had

    Steven’s Answer

    I also agree with the other responses. Your landlord's failure to provide you with necessary appliances is not chargeable to you. If he attempts to sue you, you would likely win.

    However - if you purchased a new fridge/stove and did not give your landlord a reasonable opportunity to replace the old ones first, you could run into a problem. that is a very fact-specific inquiry for a judge.

    See question