Based on 1 review
Help make it easier for other Avvo users to choose the right lawyer by sharing your experience with this attorney. It's fast, simple, and safe.
Lawyers: Use the Peer Endorsements section to provide input about other attorneys.
In March of this year (2014), we had a fire in our family apartment rental that consumed our personal possessions and caught us without having finalized our renter's insurance. Our landlord's insurance company as well as the insurance company that represented a business located on the floor beneath us, came after us like rabid dogs with lawyers, fire inspectors and electrical engineering inspectors. Although the official fire report indicated that the fire started from a faulty electrical connection inside the wall, without a lawyer or insurance, we had a target on our backs and within a few days after the fire it became apparent to us that they were coming after us and trying to pin the cause of the fire on us at seemingly any cost.
Still in deep shock and panic, we got Michael's name from a family friend who is an attorney and who had worked closely with Michael before he set out with his own practice. After an initial phone discussion, I knew we had found our legal representation. I was proven right.
It took little time for me to see what sets Michael apart from other lawyers I have dealt with in various capacities over the years:
1) Michael is direct, straight-forward, honest and trustworthy.
2) Michael accepted my suggestions on strategy, approach and tactics. This is a HUGE plus as far as I'm concerned.
3) Michael charged fairly. In no case was any charge or the time he recorded anything but fair, accurate and equitable.
4) Professionally, Michael was always on time and on point. He never slacked in any way whatsoever, was never late and indeed made us feel like we were his only client.
5) As an added bonus as far as I'm concerned is that Michael is a genuinely kind, considerate, sharp and has a wonderful sense of humor.
Yes, we were pinching ourselves. Had we not had a lawyer of Michael's caliber, we would've been chewed up and spit out. No doubt about it. The amount of time and money expended by the opposing insurance companies trying to find any plausible way to make us personally liable for the damage caused by the fire was considerable and intense. Michael guided us against these formidable forces with panache, dignity and perseverance.
It is, therefore, without hesitation that I wholeheartedly offer this recommendation for the services of Michael Shortt.