Michael P. Twohig is a founding partner of Twohig Caplan LLP. He is a former partner at a large Boston law firm. Mr. Twohig has been representing individuals and businesses successfully in a wide variety of civil disputes for over 13 years. Mr. Twohig is a licensed Massachusetts attorney and appears regularly on behalf of his clients in state and federal courts throughout Massachusetts. He also represents his clients in alternative dispute resolution proceedings such as arbitrations and mediations.
Mr. Twohig has successfully represented both businesses and individuals and plaintiffs and defendants throughout his career. Mr. Twohig has represented entrepreneurs, banks, inventors, pharmaceutical companies, architectural and engineering firms and professionals, property owners, real estate developers, employers, employees, and corporate officers and directors. Mr. Twohig has handled a wide variety of civil litigation, including: contract and commercial disputes, debt collection matters, employment disputes (wage and hour cases, discrimination, non-compete disputes, etc.), construction and design disputes, warranty disputes, product liability, personal injury, property damage, intellectual property disputes, and disputes over promissory notes and guaranties.
• Secured a $1.5 million judgment for damages, attorneys' fees, and costs on behalf of a cooperative bank following a week-long jury trial in Massachusetts Superior Court. The case involved enforcement of a personal guaranty of a promissory note and a dispute over the value and sale of collateral securing the loan. Obtained dismissal of the defendants' $1.5+ million counterclaim on summary judgment prior to trial.
• Obtained a bank account attachment at the outset of a lawsuit on behalf of an international telephone service carrier, freezing over $650,000 of a contract debtor’s assets. Subsequently secured judgment and seizure of the funds for the client.
• Won summary judgment on behalf of a building products manufacturer obtaining dismissal of various claims against the manufacturer in a lawsuit involving claims of property damage due to water intrusion at a hotel. Obtained a favorable settlement of all claims for the client following the summary judgment victory.
• Represented a highly regarded Boston area architect in a dispute with a client over the design and construction of a new high-end home. Obtained a favorable settlement of the dispute in mediation.
• Represented the purchaser of various lighting system installation and maintenance contracts for shopping malls in different parts of the United States in a lawsuit to enforce its rights to several hundred thousand dollars in payments under the contracts. Obtained a favorable settlement for the client on the eve of trial.
• After a week of jury trial in Massachusetts Superior Court, secured a favorable settlement for a corporate client accused of age discrimination and wrongful termination of its former senior vice president.
• Defeated a motion for real property attachment which would have thrown the client (a real estate developer) into default on its project financing/loan obligations.
Languages Spoken: Spanish
Licensed since 2001
I strongly endorse this lawyer. Mike and I worked together on a probate litigation matter that involved complicated issues of tax law and attorney malpractice. I've known Mike for many years. He has a great ability to get to the heart of a case and move forward with practical solutions. I would definitely want him on my side if I was involved in a complex litigation matter.
Marshal Grant Tax Attorney
Relationship: Worked together on matter
|Award Name||Grantor||Date Granted|
|Super Lawyer||Massachusetts Super Lawyers||2014|
|Super Lawyer||Massachusetts Super Lawyers||2013|
|Super Lawyer||Massachusetts Super Lawyers in Boston Magazine||2012|
|Super Lawyer||Massachusetts Super Lawyers in Boston Magazine||2011|
|Rising Star||Massachusetts Super Lawyers in Boston Magazine||2010|
|Rising Star||Massachusetts Super Lawyers in Boston Magazine||2009|
|Rising Star||Massachusetts Super Lawyers in Boston Magazine||2008|
|Rising Star||Massachusetts Super Lawyers in Boston Magazine||2007|
|Rising Star||Massachusetts Super Lawyers in Boston Magazine||2006|
|Rising Star||Massachusetts Super Lawyers in Boston Magazine||2005|
|Partner||Twohig Caplan LLP||2013 - Present|
|Attorney/Principal||Law Office Of Michael P. Twohig||2012 - 2013|
|Partner||Burns & Levinson LLP||2009 - 2012|
|Associate Attorney||Burns & Levinson LLP||2006 - 2009|
|Associate Attorney||Perkins Smith & Cohen LLP||2001 - 2006|
|Association Name||Position Name||Duration|
|Massachusetts Bar Association||Member||2012 - Present|
|Massachusetts Catholic Business Association||Member||2011 - Present|
|Boston Bar Association||Member||N/A|
|Boston University School of Law||Law||JD - Juris Doctor||2000|
|Harvard University||History||BA - Bachelor of Arts||1993|
|Civil Discovery Basics||Privileges||2011|