The neighborhood of Ohio City was once an economic rival of Cleveland. In 1836, this rivalry reached the boiling point. By constructing a new bridge at Columbus Street and removing an old one at Center Street, Cleveland diverted merchant traffic towards Cleveland and away from Ohio City. What followed was the Bridge War.
Nearly 1,000 Ohio City inhabitants attempted to destroy the Columbus Street Bridge, and were opposed by the Cleveland militia. Amazingly, only two people were injured.
The fighting stopped when the county sheriff intervened and obtained a court order against further interference. After much discussion, a new bridge was constructed at Center Street to replace the old one.