At Avvo, our philosophy is simple: Smart, happy people build amazing companies. With this as our guide, we are committed to hiring the brightest minds that have both a bold entrepreneurial streak and a strong work ethic. Also, we are committed to building a workplace that encourages true collaboration, communication, and respect. If we execute on these fronts, greatness will come. Great people + great products = a great company.
If this makes sense to you, come join us! We offer competitive pay (salary and equity) and an excellent benefits package. Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Product Manager - Growth
This position is responsible for leading an interdisciplanry team (engineering, design, research, marketing, analytics, and more) in initiatives that help us accelerate our growth metrics. We are looking for an enthusiastic leader who loves working on user-facing products, but prefers to measure success quantitatively. If you love thinking about viral loops and statistical control groups while making beautiful products, this is the right position for you.
- Acquire new active users (consumers) and suppliers (attorneys)
- Help conceive, design, run, and analyze experiments to drive traffic, improve onboarding, retain new users, and reactivate lapsed users
- Develop a set of quantitative metrics for measuring your team's success and to evaluate the result of experiments with
- Pull data from SQL and Google Analytics and run your own analyses in Excel, R, Tableau, etc.
- Help define product vision and strategy, build consensus among engineering, design, marketing, and business development teams
- At least 3 years of experience in Product Management experience developing Internet products and technologies
- BA/BS in Computer Science or a related technical field (while you won't be writing a ton of code, understanding technical constraints and tradeoffs is critical)
- Strong quantitative skills
- Experience with SQL and scripting languages for pulling and analyzing data
- Great verbal and written communication abilities
- Familiarity with search engine and ranking fundamentals
Applications should include:
- A short write-up of the first two experiments you would run on Avvo.com.
Search Engine Marketing Manager
Avvo is looking for an enthusiastic, self-starting search marketing guru to develop and execute on a mobile and desktop search marketing plan that drives consumers to Avvo's legal marketplaces and new customers for Avvo's marketing software products for lawyers. The Search Engine Marketing Manager will act as the business manager of the paid search engine marketing channel responsible for the P/L of the channel and planning, implementing, optimizing and analyzing Avvo's paid search engine marketing (SEM) activities.
- Manage the day-to-day paid search marketing activities across multiple search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.) including the campaign planning, implementation, budget management, performance review, and optimization of paid search campaigns.
- Responsibilities include keyword research (discovery and expansion), review and editing of creative copy (titles and descriptions), review and analysis of web site performance metrics, and optimization of campaigns.
- Grow and optimize our keywords portfolio through testing (A/B and Multivariate) with ad copy, landing pages, bidding strategies, negative keywording, etc.
- Develop near and long-term PPC account strategies, roadmaps and execute day-to-day tactics that increase revenue, site traffic, conversion and margins.
- Drive continued innovation and best practice implementation, regularly sharing your knowledge with the marketing team and senior leaders.
- Prepare and execute on a business plan to establish an international SEM strategy in targeted regions/countries.
- Stay current with new advances in paid search engine marketing, competitive landscape, and keyword research.
- Identify and report on key performance indicators, and opportunities for improvement on a regular basis and create forecasts and prepare reports on all SEM activities to communicate performance to senior management .
- Work with creative team on landing page designs that utilize best practices.
- Manage remarketing campaigns and affiliate programs.
- At least 5 years SEM experience
- Proven track record developing & managing successful SEM campaigns at scale
- Google AdWords Certification and expertise with Google Analytics
- Expert knowledge of desktop and mobile search and landing page best practices
- Experience with both B2C and B2B SEM strongly preferred
- Passionate about search and online marketing
- Excellent analytical skills and strong understanding of business drivers
- Self-starter with the ability to work well in a cross-functional team of marketers and product managers and proactively bring forward and advocate ideas
- Strong verbal communication skills with good understanding of advertising language
- Strong familiarity with SEO techniques
- College degree preferred
- Microsoft PowerPoint, Word and Excel proficiency
Web Application Developers
We're looking for Web application developers to help build the future of connecting people with the lawyers who will make a difference in their lives.
At Avvo, you'll get to work with smart, passionate people in small, focused, cross-discipline teams building Web, iOS, and Android applications. You'll take a product from conception to completion, shaping its direction the whole way. You'll have the flexibility to build each project in the way you think is best, using the best tools and technologies. You'll own the development of the project from the front end to the database layer.
When you're done, you'll get to extract stuff that would be useful to other people and open-source it. We're the team behind projects like resque-scheduler (https://github.com/bvandenbos/resque-scheduler), robut (https://github.com/justinweiss/robut), resque_unit (https://github.com/justinweiss/resque_unit), and delsolr (https://github.com/avvo/delsolr).
We use whatever tools and technologies we think are best for the situation, including Ruby, Rails, Redis, Solr, Git, Chef, SASS/Compass, neo4j, Sinatra, Objective-C, and EC2.
We're looking for:
- Passion for building software. Huge bonus points if you've built or maintained open source software or side projects. (Send us your GitHub profile!)
- Fluency in multiple programming languages. We're mostly built on Ruby, but you don't have to know it coming in.
- Enthusiasm for learning about new technologies and sharing them with your coworkers. We've seen huge productivity improvements from using new tech, so a keen eye for cool new stuff is a plus.
- Collaboration with other disciplines - you'll be working closely with designers and PMs, and it takes everyone's skills to build something remarkable.
- A strong desire to build the best product for your customers, no matter how long it takes to get there.
Software Test Engineer
We are looking for a full-time test engineer to help us help people navigate their legal problems.
You might be a good match for us:
- If you thrive in a fast paced challenging environment. . .
- If you want to change the world. . .
- If you are naturally curious and passionate about testing...
- If you are excited about finding issues, and thrilled to find solutions...
- If you are an advocate for the users. . .
- If you are self-motivated, but love to work with a great team..
If you want do dig into data, influence UI, design new tools, and have pride in what we produce. Then come talk to us!
Responsibilities will include:
- Overview / auditing of offshore team
- Ownership of testing in an important business unit
- Review / Edit / Author test plans / specifications
- Triage of new bugs and review of old bugs
- Rapid testing for immediate deployments
- Development of management skills
- Overall software testing experience 3+ years (STE, SDET)
- Experience writing test cases and test plans
- Experience reporting bugs
- Great communication skills - written and verbal
- Basic SQL
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field or equivalent experience
Nice to have:
- Internet/Web industry testing experience
- Advanced SQL
- Some experience writing code (bonus points for Rails / Ruby)
- Experience with test automation frameworks (bonus points for Selenium)
- Experience with performance Testing
- Experience with security Testing
Your past experience is important, but not as important as your motivation and creativity. We will provide the environment and the guidance needed to grow your skill set.
Email Marketing Manager
We're looking for an experienced results-driven email marketer to help manage our complex email program to both B2B and B2C customers, from conception to execution. You are passionate about email marketing and have a proven track record of creating and executing on successful email marketing campaigns that drive revenue and increase customer retention. You are a motivated self-starter and team player that thrives in a fast-paced startup-like environment and wants to take your email marketing skills to the next level.
- Create and execute on email marketing campaigns that drive revenue, increase customer retention and support other company goals.
- Manage the email campaign process from start to finish including planning, conceptualization, creative development, set-up, review, QA, deployment and reporting.
- Proactively track, monitor, analyze and optimize campaign performance.
- Work with the Director of Email Marketing on the development of email marketing strategies, segmentation recommendations, and email test plans.
- Monitor deployments and act as first responder if campaigns run into problems.
- Work closely with freelance designers to create new email campaigns.
- Write, edit and proof copy for email campaigns.
- Regularly report and present on email plans and performance.
- 3+ years working experience in email marketing.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Hands-on experience in day-to-day email execution from conception to execution.
- Near obsessive attention to detail.
- Experience working with sophisticated email delivery tools (preferably ExactTarget).
- Knowledge of best practices for email marketing, including email creative, segmentation, dynamic content, testing methodologies, deliverability, list growth, etc.
- Experience working with web analytics tools (preferably Google Analytics).
- Understanding of HTML and ability to troubleshoot coding issues.
- Excel expertise.
- Familiarity with CAN SPAM regulations.
- Strong analytics, verbal, and presentation skills.
Would you like to be Avvo's first full-time dedicated HR person? We've grown to over 100 employees, and have a lot of growth on the horizon. It's time (past time, really) that we had someone solely focused on Human Resources. This is a great opportunity to grow with the organization and help us build out our HR function. Reports to Avvo's General Counsel and Vice President, Business Development.
- Administer all health and welfare programs including all insurance plans, COBRA, flexible spending, FMLA, retirement plans, etc.
- Responsible for open enrollment coordination, new hire education and eligibility determination.
- Be the go-to person for all employee questions about benefits plans. Respond to and escalate benefit issues as necessary.
- Work closely with all benefit vendors related to billing, eligibility and claims issues.
- Maintain current knowledge of benefit compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Develop and implement employee communications and conduct benefit orientations for staff.
- Maintain and ensure integrity of personnel files, processes and policies, and maintain records and policies in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Keep current on recent federal, state, and municipal law changes that affect HR.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate employee events.
- Facilitate hiring process (in coordination with recruiting consultant).
- Organize the on-boarding process for new hires including the collection of new hire forms and coordinating with payroll.
- Backup for payroll.
- Function as a resource to employees for HR issues.
- Directly provide advice and consultation to managers and employees on a variety of routine as well as complex employee relations issues.
- Drive activities associated with the Performance Review cycle.
- Focus on retention strategies to retain and motivate professional talent.
- Partner with business leaders to support organizational strategy and objectives.
- Develop a positive environment that fosters employee engagement.
- 3-5+ years experience with Human Resources, including experience with benefits administration, compensation and employee relations
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Desire to work in an environment of rapid growth, where there is an opportunity to create and build systems and processes
- General knowledge of employment laws and practices
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities
- PHR certification preferred
- Familiarity with ADP systems preferred
Data Engineer - Data warehousing
Are you a Data Engineer who wants to work for a strong and innovative online legal directory company? Do you have a passion for turning data into meaningful information? Do you have what it takes to build the high performing and robust Business Intelligence solutions in the EDW organization? Does working on a world-class data warehouse implementation and diving into Big Data technology and tools excite you? If any of those are true...Avvo is the right place for you.
The Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) team is currently looking for talented and highly motivated Data Engineer that can build lead and support the business by delivering high quality solutions for the Enterprise Data Warehouse. As the Data Engineer, you would be playing a Lead technical role and will be responsible for the building and leading through the full development lifecycle of the solution, including detailed design, code development, code reviews, unit testing, build/test support and finally deployment activities and post deployment support. You must have the ability to roll up your sleeves to design as well as build quality solutions.
Must have the ability to assess business rules; performing source to target data mapping; designing, reviewing, implementing and optimizing ETL processes; reviewing project plans, development and test specifications; performing data analysis; providing support for existing systems; troubleshooting data and/or system issues; building/extending toolsets; creating/maintaining batch jobs; creating systems documentation etc. Provide data analysis and identify data related issues within the Data Warehouse environment as well as upstream systems, as needed.
- Experience in Informatica ETL tool, Netezza or some other MPP databases and reporting with Business objects or Tableau will be highly preferred
- Strong skills in creating stored procedures, views, etc., ETL code and reports/dashboards
- Intermediate knowledge in Java v7x is preferred.
- Strong background in Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence environment working with extremely large data sets is a must and must have an eye for tuning and performance
- Ability to read and interpret data schemas, with emphasis on Netezza implementations
- Proven ability to work cross functionally to deliver appropriate resolution of technical, procedural, and operational issues
- Must be able to drive investigations to completion and ensure customer satisfaction
- Must be flexible and motivated to work in a fast-paced environment
- BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field preferred with 4-6 years of experience
- Experience with data warehouse technologies and/or a back-end reporting system is required
Avvo.com seeks an experienced data entry person to join our team. Successful candidates will be flexible, have great attention to detail, and enjoy learning and working with technology. The ideal candidate would also enjoy working with a small group of like-minded people, in a collaborative, friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
- Input and manage large amounts of information
- Quality control own and others' work
- Meet data entry goals for quantity and quality
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with data entry and/or administrative work
- Attention to detail and accuracy in data entry
- Intellectual curiosity
- Strong Internet research skills
- Ability to work on a computer for extended amount of time and stay focused on repetitive tasks
- Basic knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets (Excel)
- Solid references
- Legal office experience or domain knowledge a plus
Avvo has been growing very quickly - we're over 100 employees now, and we need some help managing that growth. The office assistant will be a key part of our Business Operations group, helping out in a wide variety of ways:
- Maintain and stock office supplies
- Maintain and stock break areas
- Maintain general office organization and tidiness
- Accept deliveries and help coordinate with vendors
- Pick up and distribute mail
- Field basic employee questions re benefits and facilities
- Assist with employee events, branded wear and fun committee
- Run errands and perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
We're looking for someone with lots of energy, good spirits and a "can-do" attitude. Must be organized, a team player and have outstanding interpersonal skills. Fluency with technology and web-based applications is a plus. At least 1-2 years experience in a busy office setting is strongly preferred.